Judged by its critics when its plans were first announced in 1911 as an unnecessary addition to the surrounding courses in the Inches and Islands, Craigie Hill proved itself to be a huge success within three years of opening, with a membership of 600 members in 1913 and many developments already underway. Practical advice offered by noted course architects Willie Fernie and Joe Anderson resulted in an initially excellent playing condition, but the new greens and radical improvement of the 5th and 11th holes along with extensive drainage and cleared fairways meant Craigie Hill was one of the best engineered courses in the Perth area.
In 1913 the course was described as offering "rare attractions to the man or woman who revels in fresh air combined with bracing exercise and exciting sport." An anecdote revealed that "a dyspeptic individual told the writer recently that he never knew the relish of mustard until he had eaten a lunch after a vigorous round on Craigie Hill on a crisp and clear morning in October." The visitor today will no doubt still feel the same way after a morning’s round up and down Craigie’s "hills".
Craigie Hill’s founders and its early management committee sought to keep the club within the economic means of their local community, and in doing so, they managed to build and maintain a loyal base of members throughout Cherry Hill and the larger community of Perth. *This loyalty continues to this day and, true to the motto "The Ideal Course controlled by the Ideal Management" has provided the club with the funds to expand its clubhouse and keep the greens in their mint condition. (* 1986).